Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chewy Lemon Lavender Snowdrop Cookies


The Great Blogger Cookie Swap is here!  I have received all of my cookies, check out my first two here, the last box came on Saturday. And they were delish!! They were a lovey chocolate and mint (peppermint?) cookie from Jenny at Jenny Creates.

Jenny's lovely cookies which my husband demolished.
I was so nervous and excited to pick out a recipe to send to three lovely ladies.  I wanted to have a unique cookie and it needed to be one that would travel across the country well.   

I found both of these with my Chewy Lemon Lavender Snowdrop Cookies.  Using the chewy lemon snowdrop cookie recipe from sophistimom as a base I dove into my first great cookie adventure. 




























First I had to infuse my sugar with lavender.  I took four cups of sugar and 10 sprigs of lavender and put them together in a mason jar for two weeks. It was difficult to wait that long but I am glad I did!


My first attempt fell flat, literally!  My butter was too soft and I did not use enough flour.  My second attempt was much better and the photos you see here are from my third attempt!


My dough before it cooked!
Notice I used a silicone mat, you may also use parchment paper.


And man these turned out beautiful!!
Only step left is to coat in powered sugar!

Coat and enjoy!  I dare you to try to eat just one!!



Printable Recipe here


Chewy Lemon Lavender Snowdrop Cookies (egg free)

2 c      unbleached all-purpose flour
8 T     butter (if using unsalted add a pinch of salt) Do not melt! Room temp is ok!
2         lemons (zest from both)
2/3 c  lavender infused sugar
1/4 c  honey
1 t      baking soda
2 T     lemon juice
1 c      powdered sugar (this will be used for coating)


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Measure out flour into a bowl.  Set aside.  Using the beater on your mixer, cream together butter, lemon zest, sugar, and honey. Mix until smooth and fully combined. Scrape down sides a couple of times.  In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and baking soda. 
On low speed, add flour and lemon juice to butter mixture. Scrape down sides of bowl and make sure all flour is mixed in; dough should just barely stick together. If sticky add a tablespoon of flour at a time until dough is just shy of crumbly.  Roll the dough into one inch balls.  Bake for 10 minutes until cookie is just short of turning brown. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets. When cool enough to handle, coat in powdered sugar.  I coated mine 2 or 3 times for full coverage.  Once after they are fully cooled.

These cookies get chewier the longer they sit and are delish even after a week!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth... just got your cookies! Thank you so much... they are so good. My fiancé (Tom) loves anything with lemon, so these went straight to his tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A double batch should make 6 dozen. This recipe is the fixed one withe enough sugar. Also if you don't want them to spread too much you can pop them in the freezer for a few minutes after you put them on the pan. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete